Sigh! Summer is behind us. It might be time to pack away the summer shorts and dazzling dresses but just because the weather is turning dreary doesn’t mean your wardrobe should too! Style smart and your kid will still look cooler than the cooler days and nights that sneak up on us. Here’s how to keep your kid’s closet covering all bases for winter:
- Pick a foundation piece. Think jeans, overalls and leggings. Our fave at Five and Knux is definitely denim - it basically goes with everything! We've got denim in your standard blue, light wash, distressed denim, black and even white so we definitely have you covered there. And we're totally ok with double denim'ing if you want to add our hooded denim jackets as your jacket basic. It's pretty hard wearing and doesn't always need to be washed every wear (unless that 3pm chocolate fix says otherwise).
- Layer up! Obviously...but when your kid start running around and working up a sweat, it doesn’t matter that it’s 5 degrees outside, they’ll want to strip off at some point whether their outfit is suitable or not. Be prepared with some layers. Add tights to the cute skirt or dress. Pop a singlets under long sleeve tops and finish off with a hoodie or jacket. Top tip to keep it stress-free: the layers don’t need to match what’s underneath, as long as it works with the foundation piece on its own, you’re good to go! Our corduroy sets are doubly thick with the corduroy outer but the jersey lining, on both the pants and shacket. So the pants are like wearing tracksuits but still look like trousers! They come in two staple colours, black and oat so they will certainly go with everything. Winning!
- Keep it comfy. Kids would 100% rather be comfy than look good (remember the clash they wore last week? Yeah, we wouldn’t forget that either!). Boys can wear leggings too! We have plain black ones that feel absolutely divine! And some high top sneaker patterned ones on sale at the moment. Luckily, our range is full of soft and often stretchy fabrics with a lot of elastic waists, allowing your little ones room to move. Added bonus: the fabrics are so cosy they’ll be even more cuddly for you too. That is, if you can catch them standing still long enough, hehe!
- Size up for longevity. Kids grow so fast, we know. So we recommend sizing up to get more use out of it - it won’t be too big for long! That’s also why we design pieces to expand with your kids. Items like our overalls have adjustable shoulder straps and foldable trouser legs so you can find the perfect fit today, next month and even next year. Perfect to see you through multiple growth-spurts or to give some more room for layering in winter. Even tying the sides of t-shirts or long sleeves adds a bit of style but also helps a larger size look more fitted.
- Add colour. It might be autumn, but you can still be bright like summer. Don’t be afraid to mix and match textures, add bright patterned tights / leggings under dresses and even overalls. Now you’ve got the basics covered, put your stamp on them and make them pop. Show some sass with a slogan tee in your fave colour, stand out with a pair of popping sunnies or show off with some shoe wings to really stand out from the crowd. If your kid is feeling adventurous today, why stop at one! Combine all of the above for a show-stopping ensemble that’ll be the talk of the town.